nanog mailing list archives

Re: NANOG67 - Tipping point of community and sponsor bashing?

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 17:05:19 -0400

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 12:30 PM, Daniel Golding <dgolding () gmail com> wrote:
"If a presentation will name a particular vendor, that vendor should receive
an advance
draft so that their reps are prepared to speak at the mic about their
intentions. "

One of the least savory aspects of the technical press and industry analyst
worlds is something called pre-pub review. That's where big vendors pay you
to see stuff before its printed, so they can attempt to censor it.  It
happens all the time, and you never know about it.

Hi Daniel,

That's quite a bit further than anything I suggested. My notion was
that after the presentation has been accepted, the mentioned vendors
receive a copy... not so they can attempt to squelch it but so that
they can respond when the presentation is given.

Besides, which among you would dare try to squelch a NANOG
presentation? Y'all are well familiar with the Streisand Effect.

Regards,
Bill

--
William Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us