nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cogent & Google IPv6

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 16:51:55 -0500

On Feb 24, 2016, at 4:48 PM, Ricky Beam <jfbeam () gmail com> wrote:
On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 15:48:22 -0500, Patrick W. Gilmore <patrick () ianai net> wrote:
And Ricky is wrong, the vast majority of prefixes Cogent routes have zero dollars behind them. Cogent gets paid by
customers, not peers. (At least not the big ones.)

Show me a single connection to Cogent for which Cogent isn't being paid. Cogent is the only provider I've ever heard
of that will not do any form of settlement-free peering.

You really think AT&T, Comcast, Level 3, Sprint, Verizon, etc. are paying Cogent?

Good thing I put my drink down before I read that.

Or do you think Cogent is paying all of them? That is a possibility, but it means that Cogent is not getting paid - by
definition.

--
TTFN,
patrick