nanog mailing list archives

Re: Rasberry pi - high density

From: Dave Taht <dave.taht () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 13:52:32 -0700

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 1:37 PM, Clay Fiske <clay () bloomcounty org> wrote:

On May 8, 2015, at 10:24 PM, charles () thefnf org wrote:

Pi dimensions:

3.37 l (5 front to back)
2.21 w (6 wide)
0.83 h
25 per U (rounding down for Ethernet cable space etc) = 825 pi

The parallella board is about the same size and has interesting
properties all by itself.
In addition to ethernet it also brings out a lot of pins.

http://www.adapteva.com/parallella-board/

there are also various and sundry quad core arm boards in the same form factor.

Cable management and heat would probably kill this before it ever reached completion, but lol…

This feels like it should be a Friday thread. :)

If you’re really going for density:

- At 0.83 inches high you could go 2x per U (depends on your mounting system and how much space it burns)
- I’d expect you could get at least 7 wide if not 8 with the right micro-USB power connector
- In most datacenter racks I’ve seen you could get at least 8 deep even with cable breathing room

So somewhere between 7x8x2 = 112 and 8x8x2 = 128 per U. And if you get truly creative about how you stack them you
could probably beat that without too much effort.

This doesn’t solve for cooling, but I think even at these numbers you could probably make it work with nice, tight
cabling.

Dip them all in a vat of oil.

--
Dave Täht