nanog mailing list archives

Re: Rasberry pi - high density

From: Eugeniu Patrascu <eugen () imacandi net>
Date: Sat, 9 May 2015 22:26:37 +0300

On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 9:55 PM, Barry Shein <bzs () world std com> wrote:

On May 9, 2015 at 00:24 charles () thefnf org (charles () thefnf org) wrote:

 > So I just crunched the numbers. How many pies could I cram in a rack?

For another list I just estimated how many M.2 SSD modules one could
cram into a 3.5" disk case. Around 40 w/ some room to spare (assuming
heat and connection routing aren't problems), at 500GB/each that's
20TB in a standard 3.5" case.

It's getting weird out there.

I think the next logical step in servers would be to remove the traditional
hard drive cages and put SSD module slots that can be hot swapped. Imagine
inserting small SSD modules on the front side of the servers and directly
connect them via PCIe to the motherboard. No more bottlenecks and a
software RAID of some sorts would actually make a lot more sense than the
current controller based solutions.