nanog mailing list archives

[no subject]

From: Steve Dodd via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 21:24:17 +0000 (UTC)

--- Begin Message --- From: Steve Dodd <steve.dodd () sungardas com>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2015 09:02:16 -0600

On 5/6/15, 4:56 PM, "Randy Bush" <randy () psg com> wrote:

a fellow researcher wants

   > to make the case that in some scenarios it is very important for a
   > network operator to be able to specify that traffic should *not*
   > traverse a certain switch/link/group of switches/group of links
   > (that's true right?). Could you give some examples? Perhaps point
   > me to relevant references?

if so, why? security?  congestion?  other?  but is it common?  and, if
so, how do you do it?

randy

In the wireless backhaul space I¹ve seen carriers that would prefer a
circuit to go down rather than take the long path on a ring between tower
and switching center. I assume they are concerned with some sort of
latency requirement. We used RSVP-TE with link coloring as the solution.

-Steve

--- End Message ---