nanog mailing list archives

Re: large BCP38 compliance testing

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 11:54:01 -0400

On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 12:10:39 +0200, Mikael Abrahamsson said:

I have been getting pushback from people that this might be "illegal".
Could anyone please tell me what's illegal about trying to send a packet
with a random source address?

The *real* problem isn't the testing.

It's the assumption that you can actually *do* anything useful with this data.
Name-n-shame probably won't get us far - and the way the US works, if there's a
large cartel of BCP38-compliant providers calling out the offenders by name,
you might encounter an offender that finds it cheaper to send a lawyer chanting
'restraint of trade!' or similar rather than actually fixing their problem....