nanog mailing list archives

Re: large BCP38 compliance testing

From: Andrei Robachevsky <robachevsky () isoc org>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 17:31:43 +0200

Nick Hilliard wrote on 02/10/14 12:28:
This shouldn't stop us from finding, then naming and shaming operators
who don't use bcp38, but we also need to maintain realistic expectations
about how successful it's going to be.

This feels indeed like boiling the ocean, but what are the alternatives,
given that we are looking at a fundamental feature in the Internet
routing system - source address has no practical significance?

But on another side, how easy it is to comply? The best documentation I
found was “RIPE Anti-Spoofing Task Force HOW-TO”,
http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-431, but even that doesn't cover all
cases and needs updating.

Are there are other useful references, besides bcp38/84 and bcp38.info?

Andrei