nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is it unusual to remove defunct rr objects?

From: Ca By <cb.list6 () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 09:16:31 -0700

On Friday, October 31, 2014, Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 10:34:23AM -0700, Tim Howe wrote:
      I've since found a disturbing number of defunct objects that
relate to my customers (and me) in a similar way, and I have mostly
had success in getting them cleared up.  If my relatively small
customer base is any indication, there are more incorrect objects out
there than correct ones.  I feel this is something I should have been
looking into sooner.

        People tend to treat things like IRR (eg: RADB, etc) as a
garbage pit you toss things into and never remove from.

+1, it is a garbage pit

Do whatever it takes to deploy today

move on, dont look back or update,

 failover between isps fails, emergency update.

Back to sleep

If its not systematicly automated for grandma, it is broken and will only
be patched by exception / interrupt

      Is this a non-issue that I shouldn't worry about?  Doesn't the
quality of this data effect Origin Validation efforts?

        Yes it does.  This has a fairly severe impact for those that build
off the IRR data for filters.  We have seen customers end up including
AS7018 in their AS-SET or as you noticed have other legacy routes appear.

      Sorry that this turned out so long; I wanted to give some
context.

        No worries.  I've got a transient routing leak detector
that does find/fuzz these issues which has been running for a few
years now.  I'm guessing you may see some of the related prefixes
there as a result.  It's in need of a U/I redesign (code welcome)
but is located here:

        http://puck.nether.net/bgp/leakinfo.cgi

        - Jared

--
Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared () puck nether net
<javascript:;>