nanog mailing list archives

Re: why IPv6 isn't ready for prime time, SMTP edition

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 18:51:12 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014, John Levine wrote:

It says a lot about the state of the art that people are still making uninformed guesses like this, non ironically.

Yep, SMTP and the whole spam fighting part of the Internet, isn't ready for IPv6. This is not IPv6 fault.

I have repeatedly tried to get people interested in methods of making it possible for ISPs to publish their "per-customer" allocation size, so far without any success. Most of the time I seem to get "we did it a certain way for IPv4, it works, we don't want to change it" from people.

IPv6 changes things. Lots of things. There will be a lot of work to catch up. It's too bad that the part of the ecosystem that fights spam have woken up so late.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se