nanog mailing list archives

Re: /25's prefixes announced into global routing table?

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 07:45:21 +0200

On Jun 22, 2013, at 7:19 AM, Brandon Martin <lists.nanog () monmotha net> wrote:

On 06/22/2013 12:44 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
   The forwarding hardware is generally going to be the limit, and
that's going to be painful enough as we approach a half million
prefixes.

True. And that's why we must avoid IPv6.

This is not only wrong, it makes no sense whatsoever.

So here's a question: has anyone done any musings/reasearch on how big of a global IPv6 table we could expect given
current policies if IPv6 were as widely deployed and used as IPv4 (or if IPv4 didn't exist)?
--
Brandon Martin

Yes… It will probably settle out somewhere around 100-125K routes.

Owen