nanog mailing list archives

Re: /25's prefixes announced into global routing table?

From: "Majdi S. Abbas" <msa () latt net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 16:14:07 -0400

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 01:56:02PM -0600, Michael McConnell wrote:
As the IPv4 space get smaller and smaller, does anyone think we'll see
a time when /25's will be accepted for global BGP prefix announcement.
The current smallest size is a /24 and generally ok for most people, but
the crunch gets tighter, routers continue to have more and more ram will
it always be /24 the smallest size?

        RAM != FIB.

        The forwarding hardware is generally going to be the limit, and
that's going to be painful enough as we approach a half million
prefixes.

        You couldn't even consider such a thing until after that pain
point.

        --msa