nanog mailing list archives

Re: OOB core router connectivity wish list

From: Randy Carpenter <rcarpen () network1 net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 22:55:29 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
Once upon a time, Randy Carpenter <rcarpen () network1 net> said:
Likewise OS vendors are increasingly dropping support for
installing OSes via serial port (RHEL, VMWare, etc.)

At leaset with RHEL, you can make your own boot image that gets rid
of the asinine splash screen (which is the only thing that causes
the requirement for a full VGA console)

RHEL installs with a serial console just fine.  You also don't have
"make your own boot image" to get a non-graphical boot.

Probably a bit off topic for this thread, but...

If I boot the default install disc/image on any of my servers (mostly Supermicro), it hangs at a blank screen when
isolinux loads. If you get rid of the splash screen, it works fine. This has been an issue since RHEL4, I think.

Maybe other server manufacturers handle the video a little differently, and are able to get past the splash screen.

-Randy