nanog mailing list archives

Re: OOB core router connectivity wish list

From: Randy Whitney <randy.whitney () verizon com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 11:41:47 -0500

On 1/10/2013 11:18 AM, William Herrin wrote:
On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 1:24 AM, Randy Carpenter <rcarpen () network1 net> wrote:
On Wed, 9 Jan 2013, Randy Carpenter wrote:
My main requirements would be:

1. Something that is *not* network (ethernet or otherwise) (isn't
that the point of OOB?)

I don't understand this at all. Why can't an OOB network be ethernet
based towards the equipment needing management?

How do I connect to it from many miles away when the network is
down? I have connected to a misbehaving border device at a
remote network via dial-up before, and was able to get it back
up and running. I would not have been able to do that if the
only options were ethernet or ethernet.

Dial up with PPP and then cross the ethernet? Drop off a cellular
modem with IP service instead of a dialup modem? Perhaps you haven't
noticed but IP over circuit-switched voice lines is giving way to
voice over IP packet switched systems. That POTS line the dialup modem
needs doesn't have a lot of future left.

Nothing beats POTS in a broad power outage scenario. Numerous power outages have taken down mobile service completely while the POTS lines stayed up as it carries its own power by design.
--
Randy