nanog mailing list archives

Re: max-prefix and platform tcam limits: they are things

From: joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 17:36:30 -0700

On 10/5/12 5:05 PM, jim deleskie wrote:
I know that I should know better then comment on networks others then
my own, ( and I know to never comment on my own publicly :) )

But here goes, 210x the size of normal really?  210% I'd have a hard
time believing. Did anyone else anywhere see a route leak equal to
larger then the entire Internet that day, anywhere else that could of
caused this?

it's pretty easy to inadvertently leak a copy of the internet from one vrf to another and effectively install two copies of the internet routes in your fib...

There are plently of cases where you might to that or something similar on purpose, which is all good and well if you have 2million route fib capacity but less awesome if you have 512K route capacity linecards at this point. if you get those routes from a private peer on some non-internet-vrf well that might imply that your filter policy needs some tuning.
I won't even get into max-prefix and how we've managed this long with
someone people still not setting them.

-jim