nanog mailing list archives

Re: Shim6, was: Re: filtering /48 is going to be necessary

From: Masataka Ohta <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:05:41 +0900

james machado wrote:

For high speed (fixed time) routed look up with 1M entries, SRAM is
cheap at /24 and is fine at /32 but expensive and power consuming
TCAM is required at /48.

That's one reason why we should stay away from IPv6.

I found this bit of research from 2007 (
http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~wlu/papers/tcam.pdf ).  It seems to me there
are probably more ways to mix and match different types of ram to be
able to deal with this beast.

But it's not fixed time.

Worse, it synthesis IPv6 table from the current IPv4 ones, which
means the number of routing table entries is a lot less than 1M.

                                                Masataka Ohta