nanog mailing list archives

Re: Shim6, was: Re: filtering /48 is going to be necessary

From: Eugen Leitl <eugen () leitl org>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 15:41:35 +0100

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:25:46AM -0400, William Herrin wrote:

Geographic routing strategies have been all but proven to irredeemably
violate the recursive commercial payment relationships which create
the Internet's topology. In other words, they always end up stealing
bandwidth on links for which neither the source of the packet nor it's
destination have paid for a right to use.

This is documented in a 2008 Routing Research Group thread.
http://www.ops.ietf.org/lists/rrg/2008/msg01781.html

If you have a new geographic routing strategy you'd like to table for
consideration, start by proving it doesn't share the problem.

I think the problem can be tackled by implementing this in
wireless last-mile networks owned and operated by end users.
(Obviously the /64 space is enough to carry that information.
Long-range could be done via VPN overlay over the Internet).

This will reduce the local chatter for route discovery and remove
some of the last-mile load on wired connections, which is in
ISPs' interest. I think we'll see some 1-10 GBit/s effective
bandwidth in sufficiently small wireless cells.

If this scenario plays out, this will inch up to low-end gear
like Mikrotik and eventually move to the core.

I don't think this will initially happen in the network core for the
reasons you mentioned.