nanog mailing list archives

Re: Our first inbound email via IPv6 (was spam!)

From: Raymond Dijkxhoorn <raymond () prolocation net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 16:46:08 +0200 (CEST)

Hi! Seth,

In the past several hours we have of course seen other messages from a
range of hosts, many of which were legitimate email ­ so it wasn't just
spam! ;-)

Since the Internet is of course more than just the web, we encourage
others to start making non-HTTP services available via IPv6 as well.

I always wondered why (ISPs) never started with rolling out IPv6 email servers first, the fallback from 6 to 4 is transparent and invisible to the end user at a delay of a maximum of 30 seconds.

I enabled v6 for my email before my website since the impact if it didn't work on the 1st try was almost nil.

Still waiting for the 1st Country to top Romania' 6% deployment. I'm sure we can do better then 0.21.

IMHO Asking users if they want IPv6 is the wrong way round, you enable IPv6 and then allow for opt-out in the service portal.

That's basically what the Romanian ISP did. They have not gone bankrupt either, so maybe it's not all as bad as we think.

I think its pretty simple. Many do this, but protection is little. Abuse also but that may change. To get to the point. There are no widely available IPv6 blacklists. Like you are used to have on IPv4. Might be a legitimate reason ...

Lets see how Comcast does.

Bye,
Raymond.