nanog mailing list archives

in defense of lisp (was: Anybody can participate in the IETF)

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 09:21:21 +0900

W.R.T. to LISP,  in defense of the IETF or the IRTF, i do not believe
"the IETF" has told the world that LISP is the best fit for the
Internet or solves any specific problem well.

The IETF has never said the "Internet Architecture" is going to LISP,
and it likely will not / cannot.  My expectation is that LISP will go
away as quickly as it came.

i will not dispute this, not my point.  but i have to respect dino and
the lisp fanboys (and, yes, they are all boys) for actually *doing*
something after 30 years of loc/id blah blah blah (as did hip).  putting
their, well dino's, code where their mouths were and going way out on a
limb.

i am *not* saying i would run it in an operational network.  but maz-san
and i were happy to help the experiment by dropping the first asian node
in a test rack on the public net.

randy