nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 addressing for core network

From: sthaug () nethelp no
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 12:17:25 +0100 (CET)

Global scope addresses on router-to-router interfaces are necessary
today for traceroute to work. Some ISPs are *requiring* working
traceroute (without MPLS hiding of intermediate hops) in RFPs to
transit providers.

If you can get router ICMP handling changed such that the ICMP packet
generated by traceroute is sent from the loopback address, we might
be able to do without global scope addresses on router-to-router
interfaces. But until then...

You can do it on C and J vendor. Without link-local ICMPv6 will use
loopback0.  Example on  C:
ipv6 unnumbered loopback0

I'm afraid I don't consider this an alternative. I *like* global link
addresses for our core routers - and so does our NOC.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug () nethelp no