nanog mailing list archives

Re: What's really needed is a routing slot market

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 09:49:12 -0800

On 2/6/11 9:32 AM, John Curran wrote:
One hopes that the costs of consuming routing table slots creates
backpressure to discourage needless use, and that the royalities
receive offset the costs of carrying any additional routing table
slots.

Note that our present system lacks both consistent backpressure on
consumption of routing table slots and compensation for carrying
additional routes.

The costs of carrying routes is unevenly distributed. when I have to
carry 2 million routes in my fib on few hundred 120Gb/s line cards it's
a bit different than someone with a software router who just has to make
sure they have 4GB of ram...

That has very attractive properties along some dimensions. e.g. the cost
at the margin of connecting a new participant to the internet is rather low.