nanog mailing list archives

Re: quietly....

From: Roland Perry <lists () internetpolicyagency com>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 17:45:46 +0000

In article <85D304BA-6C4E-4B86-9717-2ADB542B8606 () delong com>, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> writes

Part of the problem is knowing in advance what ISPs will and won't do. It's all very well saying one shouldn't patronise an ISP that blocks port 25, for example, but where is that documented before you buy?

If they don't document partial internet access blockage in the contract and the contract says they are providing internet access, then, they are in breach and you are free to depart without a termination fee and in most cases, demand a refund for service to date.

You may be right about enforcing that in the USA (is it an FCC thing?), but it won't fly in most other places.

Admittedly, I'm not over-fussed about email on my phone and I don't use
a tether device at this point.

The 3G I'm discussing is a dongle intended for general access.

I mostly expect 3G and 4G networks to be broken internet anyway. I was more speaking in terms of land-line providers.

Apparently there are something like three times as many people with mobile phones in the world, as with Internet access. And a lot of network expansion is expected to be based on mobile connectivity as a result.
--
Roland Perry