nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Leasing" of space via non-connectivity providers

From: David Conrad <drc () virtualized org>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 20:25:04 -1000

John,

On Feb 5, 2011, at 7:33 PM, John Curran wrote:
  It does not talk to address space allocated to entities from the IANA or other
  registries prior to the RIRs existance.
Is it your belief that Jon did not intend RFC 2050 to apply to the existing
allocations maintained by the three regional registries in existence at the
time (InterNIC, RIPE NCC and APNIC)?

Last I checked, the other four authors of RFC 2050 are still alive.  Why not ask them?

Further, RFC 2050 states "The transfer of IP addresses from one party to another
must be approved by the regional registries.  The party trying to obtain the IP
address must meet the same criteria as if they were requesting an IP address
directly from the IR."

I'm curious: when HP acquired the assets of Compaq (or when Compaq acquired the assets of Digital), is it your position
that  HP (or Compaq) "met the same criteria as if they were requesting an IP address directly from the IR." for
16.0.0.0/8?

Regards,
-drc