nanog mailing list archives

Re: Using IPv6 with prefixes shorter than a /64 on a LAN

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 22:10:11 -0600

On 2/5/2011 9:44 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
In IPv6, we should be looking to do 5 or 10 year allocations. We can afford to be fairly speculative in
our allocations in order to preserve greater aggregation.

And even if networks were only getting an 8 bit slide, that's 256 trips back to the RIR to get to their current allocations sizes (over 1000 years if they had to return once every 5 years). However, 12-16 bit slides seem more common (perhaps John knows the exact slide ratio, though I suspect many ISPs haven't really nailed down what they need in v6 yet) and that can exceed 10 year allocation rates for some ISPs.

Jack