nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Leasing" of space via non-connectivity providers

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 18:18:45 +0000

On Sat, Feb 05, 2011 at 12:24:01PM -0500, John Curran wrote:
On Feb 5, 2011, at 11:22 AM, bmanning () vacation karoshi com wrote:

   as you pointed out back in oh, IETF-29, actual network operators
   don't participate much in the standards setting process so its
   no wonder RFC 2050 has (several) "blind-spots" when it comes to
   operational reality.

   and pragmatically, I am not sure that one could come to a single
   consistent suite of polciy for management of number resource. there's
   just too many ways (some conflicting) to use them.  but this might be
   a sigma-six outlying POV.  ARIN's community certinly is dominated by
   a particular type of network operator.

To the extent that the operator community does not participate
in the open standards setting process in the IETF, and also opts
not to participate in the open policy development process in the
Regional Internet Registries, it is indeed challenging to make
sure that the outcomes meet any operational reality.

Since the results are useless for everyone if they don't work for
the operator community, there is obviously pressure to try to fairly
consider those needs as best understood, but it takes good inputs
into the system somewhere if we want reasonable outcomes.

(my humble opinion alone)
/John

        yeah... we are sharing opinions here.. :)

        the only analogy i can draw here is one of "land-grant" vs
        "eminent-domain" in the real estate world.  in the case where
        an entity recevied an allocation at some point (being justified
        under then then current policy) it is going to take a bit of
        work to justify expropriation just 'cause the policy has changed...
        unless of course the RIR is willing to pay the fair market value
        to the holder to reclaim the space.

        this report suggests that the question is not RIR specific.
        http://ciara.fiu.edu/publications/Rubi%20-%20Property%20Rights%20in%20IP%20Numbers.pdf

        but thats just me.

--bill