nanog mailing list archives

Re: PSTN address expansion

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 22:28:32 -0600

On 2/11/2011 10:17 PM, Jack Bates wrote:

Bah, I substitute your short sighted 12 digits with 40 digit dialing! However, because the numbers are too long to remember, you only have to speak or type in the name of someone you want to call, and 15 digits can be assigned to every household or business site, and the phones will automatically number themselves, so if you plug your phone in somewhere else, only the first 25 digits change.

Jack (hmm, I think the VP will be giving me funny looks now)

My apologies for the error, it will actually be a 32 digit system, and we're switching to base-16, so all phones will have to be replaced with phones supporting 0-9A-F.

Jack