nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 mistakes, was: Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 03:31:10 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, Tom Limoncelli wrote:

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:

I think you'll be in for a surprise here, too. The 4G transition is already underway. For the vendors where 4G means LTE, IPv6 is the native protocol and IPv4 requires a certain amount of hackery to operate.

I'm writing an article where I want to say that but I can't find an
article I can reference to back it up.

We're an LTE operator and this is the first time I've heard about this. LTE supports IPv4 and IPv6 and as far as I can discern, that is a requirement, and there is no "hackery" to get IPv4 running.

We have yet to see any LTE terminals (USB dongels so far) that support IPv6. There are a lot of other kinks to work out first, going IPv6 only here is definitely not the place. Remember, a lot of people buying this service is taking the USB dongle and attaching it to their corporate XP laptop.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se