nanog mailing list archives

Re: Sad IPv4 story?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 23:07:06 -0500

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 20:48:45 EST, Barry Shein said:
I just had a personal email from a brand new ISP in the Asia-Pacific
area desperately looking for enough IPv4 to be able to run their
business the way they would like?

This sniping elicited by the above seems inappropriate and
unprofessional, the request/anecdote seemed reasonable and could
elicit solutions such as partnerships, etc.

No Barry, I respectfully disagree.  It's almost 2012.  The first predictions of
IPv4 exhaustion were made *last century*.  We've been predicting it to the
month level for like 5 years now.  Any business that is making business plans
and models that doesn't take "we may not get IPv4 space" into account and have
a contingency plan for that *deserves* to be soundly mocked and ridiculed in
public.