nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco 6509/6513 cable management...

From: "Justin M. Streiner" <streiner () cluebyfour org>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 11:54:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010, Matthew Topper wrote:

Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way, but it seems to be that
that would be a huge problem when you need to change out a cable or
move something.  Do the benefits outweigh the headaches with this kind
of setup?

Keeping the 'unseen' copper/fiber bundles neatly organized can actually make those moves easier. If you have to replace a jumper, sure it means taking some extra time to undo and re-do the velcro tape loops as you go, but if done properly, it shouldn't add much extra time.

The argument could also be made that a properly run and dressed cabling job would need to be touched less frequently, and by extension, is less prone to physical failures that would require changing out a cable.

jms