nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco 6509/6513 cable management...

From: Chuck Anderson <cra () WPI EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 11:25:03 -0400

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 10:19:50AM -0400, Brandon Applegate wrote:
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010, Positively Optimistic wrote:
http://www.cecommunication.com/pages/cablemgmtproducts.html

I have no affiliation with them nor do I even have any - but they do look
nice.  They claim to not block blade swaps or fan tray removal.

If you notice about half the pics/links posted - folks have ALL cabling
leaving the 6500 to one side.  If you don't do this, you must disconnect
cables to get the fan tray out.  The folks fanning to both sides are
either ignorant or overly optimistic (no pun intended WRT your email
address) :)

Also in line with this, make sure the cables are bundled per-card,
leaving a service loop big enough to be able to pull the line card out
all the way without disconnecting the cables.  This allows you to swap
a line card and then move the cables one-by-one to the new card
without losing track of where each cable connects.