nanog mailing list archives

Re: Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid,

From: "Tony Varriale" <tvarriale () comcast net>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 13:51:44 -0500

Of course the high level of oversub is an issue....

We'll disagree then.  Oversub makes access affordable.

..with the scary boogeyman of evil illegal P2P filesharing

That just tips the money in the wrong direction. And it's a real threat (amongst others)...not just that deadly clown hiding under your bed.

Consider: the practical reality is that we're seeing more and more
gizmos that do more and more network things.  We're going to see
DVR's downloading content over the Internet, you'll see your nav
system downloading map updates over the Internet, these are all
"new" devices that didn't exist ~10 years ago in their current form,
and they're changing consumer usage patterns.

Yeah, I think we all know and see that stuff. But, unless some technological model changes bit pricing, the premise of oversub still wins. Going 1:1 today (or in the near future) makes no sense unless you layer something on top (advertising, qos, buttercream icing?).

There is no reason to
expect that the "business model" will remain useful or that any
component of it, such as massive oversubscription, must necessarily
be correct and remain viable in its current form, just because it
worked a decade ago.

Well, I'm talking 10 years ago up until present. How do you see the sub model turning? 1:1? If so, how? And, still some profit?

tv