nanog mailing list archives

Re: Contacts re email deliverability problem to tmomail.net?

From: Dave Sparro <dsparro () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 11:29:09 -0400

On 5/15/2010 6:38 PM, Graham Freeman wrote:

That may be, but it would surprise me.   The carriers still get paid
> by virtue of charging the recipients for the SMSes, and in this
> particular case cutting off  this line of communication
is leaving money on the table, as email->SMS deliverability
is desired yet optional/secondary functionality of the app.

Based on what I see in the marketplace today, I think that the average wireless carrier exec doesn't do the same math. For them, I think it's more like:

Q: What's better than a service we can charge our users for?
A: A service we can charge our users for, while at the same time charging somebody else.