nanog mailing list archives

Re: Contacts re email deliverability problem to tmomail.net?

From: Graham Freeman <jahiel () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 17:33:59 -0700

On 14 May 10, at 17:23 , Jaren Angerbauer wrote:

I just tested, and was able to successfully send an email to my
Tmobile address [myphone#]@tmomail.net.  Are you getting bounces /
failures back that are of any use?  Also FWIW (and sanity check) any
reason why your client wants to use email-to-SMS, rather than just
SMS.  From what I understand email-to-sms isn't the best platform for
getting messages to mobile devices but I may be missing some
client-specific visibility.

Hi, Jaren,

Delivering SMS-to-SMS would be impractical and prohibitively expensive.  This is for an iPhone messaging app that
optionally delivers messages to SMS recipients for free.  The business model depends on email-to-SMS gateways.

Like you, we were able to deliver messages in low volumes, but as the app became increasingly popular (at one point in
the Top 20 in the App Store) the volume exceeded a opaque-to-us rate limit at Tmobile, but not at other mobile
providers - some of whom we're sending many more messages than we ever tried to deliver to Tmobile.

Two examples out of thousands:

Apr 30 23:52:52 pomelo.borange.com postfix/error[17836]: [ID 197553 mail.info] D44451D9570:
to=<[xxxxxxxxxx]@tmomail.net>, relay=none, delay=80196, delays=80195/0.18/0/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (delivery
temporarily suspended: host mm3.tmomail.net[66.94.25.228] refused to talk to me: 421 mail.tmail.com closing
connection)

May  1 16:17:58 pomelo.borange.com postfix/smtp[24906]: [ID 197553 mail.info] 7CC5D1E9D7F:
to=<[xxxxxxxxxx]@tmomail.net>, relay=mm3.tmomail.net[66.94.9.228]:25, delay=59233, delays=59229/0/4.2/0, dsn=4.0.0,
status=deferred (host mm3.tmomail.net[66.94.9.228] refused to talk to me: 421 mail.tmail.com closing connection)

thanks,

Graham