nanog mailing list archives

Re: Addressing plan exercise for our IPv6 course

From: Jens Link <lists () quux de>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 06:09:44 +0200

Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> writes:

for NAT. Enterprises of non-trivial size will likely use RFC4193 (and I
fear we will notice PRNG returning 0 very often) and then NAT it to
provider provided public IP addresses.

Why on earth would you do that? Why not just put the provider-assigned
addresses on the interfaces along side the ULA addresses? Using ULA
in that manner is horribly kludgy and utterly unnecessary.

To state the obvious: People are stupid.

This is to facilitate easy and cheap way to change provider. Getting PI
address is even harder now, as at least RIPE will verify that you are
multihomed, while many enterprises don't intent to be, they just need low
cost ability to change operator.

Why is that easier/cheaper than changing your RAs to the new provider and
letting the old provider addresses time out?

Well it's not cheaper but using NAT (and multiple NAT) leads to job
security as nobody else will understand the network. BTST.

Jens
--
| Foelderichstr. 40   | 13595 Berlin, Germany    | +49-151-18721264     |
| http://blog.quux.de | jabber: jenslink () guug de | -------------------  |