nanog mailing list archives

Re: legacy /8

From: David Barak <thegameiam () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 18:37:51 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sat, 4/3/10, Mark Smith <nanog () 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc nosense org> wrote:
To: "George Bonser" <gbonser () seven com>
No.  But that isn't the point.  The point is
that v6 was a bad solution
to the problem.  Rather than simply address the
address depletion
problem, it also "solves" a lot of problems that
nobody has while
creating a whole bunch more that we will have.

Ever used IPX or Appletalk? If you haven't, then you don't
know how
simple and capable networking can be. And those protocols
were designed
more than 20 years ago, yet they're still more capable than
IPv4.

Spoken like someone who has forgotten how much {fun|trouble} cable range + zones were...

IPX, AppleTalk, VINES, DECNet, SNA, and all of the other protocol suites which were kicking around in the 80s and early
90s each had the "one thing they do really really well," but none of them were sufficiently flexible, extensible, easy,
or cheap to capture the market.

Examples of some things which those protocols *didn't* do well include (obviously the list is different for each
individual protocol):

* interdomain routing - most were optimized for single-administrative control networks
* multicast
* handle an encryption layer at layer 3
* cheap + easy to implement, no license required
* distributed centralized administration (i.e. DHCP servers)
* tolerate a wide variety of {link|connection} performance characteristics

I think IPv6 has not just learnt from the history of IPv4,
it has also learnt from the history of other protocols.

Sadly, though, it also picked up some of the mistaken optimizations from the other protocols.  The mess that has been
made of RA+SLAAC+DHCPv6+DNS is something which can't be described as "elegant," and I certainly don't find it an
improvement over IPv4 DHCP+DNS.

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com