nanog mailing list archives

Re: Mail Submission Protocol

From: Jeroen van Aart <jeroen () mompl net>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 17:55:57 -0700

Raoul Bhatia [IPAX] wrote:
 > i recently had the problem that an lotus notes server insisted on
sending emails to one of our clients via port 465. so having mandatory
authentication there actually broke delivery for an exchange sender.

Leave it "broken" for the other end that is. Only way to force them to fix it.

The only acceptable, and standard, way to submit email these days is using port 587 with TLS. And if you have users with broken clients, they can use webmail behind https. I am against facilitating (and thus perpetuating the existence of) old broken clients by making available port 465.

Regards,
Jeroen

--
http://goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/