nanog mailing list archives

Re: two interfaces one subnet

From: Dan White <dwhite () olp net>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 16:31:31 -0500

Chris Meidinger wrote:
Hi,

This is a pretty moronic question, but I've been searching RFC's on-and-off for a couple of weeks and can't find an answer. So I'm hoping someone here will know it offhand. I've been looking through RFC's trying to find a clear statement that having two interfaces in the same subnet does not work, but can't find it that statement anywhere. The OS in this case is Linux. I know it can be done with clever routing and prioritization and such, but this has to do with vanilla config, just setting up two interfaces in one network. I would be grateful for a pointer to such an RFC statement, assuming it exists.

If your goal is to achieve redundancy or to increase bandwidth, you can bond the interfaces together - assuming that you have a switch / switch stack that supports 802.3ad.

Then you could assign multiple IPs to the bonded interface without any layer 3 messyness.

- Dan