nanog mailing list archives

Re: two interfaces one subnet

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 23:01:01 -0400

On May 11, 2009, at 8:04 PM, Ben Scott wrote:
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 6:01 PM, Patrick W. Gilmore <patrick () ianai net> wrote:

It doesn't matter which physical interface transmits the packet.

 Well, in the general sense, I suppose not.  The computer can put
whatever it wants in an Ethernet frame, and as long as it's valid for
the receiving system, it will work.

The OP asked for an RFC showing why this is forbidden. It is not. It works fine. I stated many times that several implementations deny your ability to do this, but the "rules" permit it just fine.

Another example: Imagine a web server with two uplinks in _different_
subnets running Quagga.

 That's a different scenario entirely.  Diverse routes work fine
because all the intermediate routers work the same way I describe
above: They don't care where the packet came from, they don't know
about "connections", they just forward packets to the destination.

Do you even read your own posts?  Specifically: