nanog mailing list archives

Re: two interfaces one subnet

From: Chris Meidinger <cmeidinger () sendmail com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 22:45:53 +0200

On 11.05.2009, at 22:34, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

On May 11, 2009, at 4:29 PM, Chris Meidinger wrote:

I would be grateful for a pointer to such an RFC statement, assuming it exists.

Why would an RFC prohibit this?

Most _implementations_ do, but as far as network "rules" in general it is a valid configuration.

That was essentially my conclusion as well: logically it can't work, but I wasn't certain where it might be forbidden.

Thusly did I come to NANOG with the question, thinking smarter people than I might know. If it's completely down to implementation, or really to the interaction between TCP and underlying IP, then so be it. I was hoping that I might just not have thought of the right place to look.