nanog mailing list archives

Re: two interfaces one subnet

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 16:34:05 -0400

On May 11, 2009, at 4:29 PM, Chris Meidinger wrote:

This is a pretty moronic question, but I've been searching RFC's on- and-off for a couple of weeks and can't find an answer. So I'm hoping someone here will know it offhand.

I've been looking through RFC's trying to find a clear statement that having two interfaces in the same subnet does not work, but can't find it that statement anywhere.

The OS in this case is Linux. I know it can be done with clever routing and prioritization and such, but this has to do with vanilla config, just setting up two interfaces in one network.

I would be grateful for a pointer to such an RFC statement, assuming it exists.

Why would an RFC prohibit this?

Most _implementations_ do, but as far as network "rules" in general it is a valid configuration.

--
TTFN,
patrick