nanog mailing list archives

RE: Where to buy Internet IP addresses

From: "TJ" <trejrco () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 16:50:15 -0400

No - but it is *phenomenally useful* if it does. Changing addresses
is only ever something you want in very specific circumstances.

You'll love RFC 4941 as implemented by Windows Vista and later.

Their awful experimental IPv6 stack in XP already does 3041, so I assume
Vista,
2008, and 7 all do the same.  In the XP case, it's not very agressive in
rotating addresses.

Nope, different.
No EUI64 at all - goes straight to randomized IIDs, but (cough) not to be
confused with Temporary/Privacy IIDs.
Randomized Link-local, randomized non-link local (Site|UniqueLocal|Global).

FWIW - WinXP uses 24hours/change_in_prefix/reboot as the default criteria
for new Privacy IID creation, is that not aggressive enough?
        I'd be curious to know what makes it "awful" IYO, I use it daily and
have few complaints ... ?

(I think the bigger / better complaint against WinXP is the lack of
IPv6-transport support for DNS ... and perhaps the lack of DHCPv6 client
functionality as well)

/TJ