nanog mailing list archives

Re: Where to buy Internet IP addresses

From: "Ricky Beam" <jfbeam () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 17:18:18 -0400

On Wed, 06 May 2009 16:50:15 -0400, TJ <trejrco () gmail com> wrote:
FWIW - WinXP uses 24hours/change_in_prefix/reboot as the default criteria
for new Privacy IID creation, is that not aggressive enough?

I define that as "not aggressive". (I've seen ISPs rotate addresses (DHCP) faster than that.)

        I'd be curious to know what makes it "awful" IYO, I use it daily and
have few complaints ... ?

Where's the GUI for dealing with it?  It's Windows(tm) after all.

And it brings along a few other things we didn't ask for... a Toredo(?) tunnel interface, for one.

But yes, it is functional. It'll get you to the small assortment of ipv6 websites around.

(I think the bigger / better complaint against WinXP is the lack of
IPv6-transport support for DNS ... and perhaps the lack of DHCPv6 client
functionality as well)

Yes, but those things require more than just an IPv6 stack. Service components have to be changed to handle DNSv6 and DHCPv6.