nanog mailing list archives

Re: Where to buy Internet IP addresses

From: "Ricky Beam" <jfbeam () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 22:43:17 -0400

On Tue, 05 May 2009 20:39:23 -0400, Karl Auer <kauer () biplane com au> wrote:
Wow, that's a metaphor that has been not merely mixed, but shaken and
stirred as well. Are you for a move to IPv6 now or not? Is the Pinto
IPv4 or IPv6? What does the exploding gas tank represent?

I'm complaining that the IPv6 we're all being asked to use is a buggy contraption that's best parked until more of it's issues are resolved. Once we start down the path capable of supporting SLAAC's /64 requirement, there's no going back. The address space has be carved out; there's no "uncutting" that pie. (much in the same way the /8 handed out in the early 80's aren't being reclaimed.)

If you mean we should hold off on moving to IPv6, then I disagree
strongly. Here's a quote I like (because it's mine :-)

The flood hasn't started yet. And the ark isn't finished; with enough people bailing water, it might stay afloat. :-)

On the other hand - we have DHCPv6 to work around it. Noone HAS to use
SLAAC. ...

Yes, but as long as it exists, someone *will*.