nanog mailing list archives

DNS alternatives (was Re: Dan Kaminsky)

From: Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 21:43:31 +0700

On Aug 5, 2009, at 9:32 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:

We might have an alternative one day, but it's going to happen by accident, through generalization of an internal naming service employed by a widely-used application.

Or even more likely, IMHO, that more and more applications will have their own naming services which will gradually reduce the perceived need for a general-purpose system - i.e., the centrality of DNS won't be subsumed into any single system (remember X.500?), but, rather, by a multiplicity of systems.

[Note that I'm not advocating this particular approach; I just think it's the most likely scenario.]

Compression/conflation of the transport stack will likely be both a driver and an effect of this trend, over time.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

        Unfortunately, inefficiency scales really well.

                   -- Kevin Lawton