nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

From: Joe Abley <jabley () hopcount ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 08:21:34 -0700

On 28-Aug-2009, at 08:14, Peter Beckman wrote:

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, Leo Bicknell wrote:

In most areas of the country you can't get a permit to build a house
without electrical service (something solar and other off the grid people are fighting). Since it is so much more cost effective to install with new construction, why don't we have codes requring Cat5 drops in every
room, and fiber to the home for all new construction?

And where does that fiber go to? Home runs from a central point in the
development, so any provider can hook up to any house at the street?
Deregulation means those lines should be accessible to any company for a fee. How do you give House A Verizon and House B Cox, especially if Cox
doesn't support fiber?

This sounds like some of the scenarios that Bill St Arnaud worked through at CANARIE. I think they got as far as some test deployments in or around Ottawa.

His general idea was that the homeowner owns conduit and fibre from the house to a shared neighbourhood colo facility, and has rights to some space in that facility.

The facility then acts as a junction point between houses in the neighbourhood (if the neighbours want to connect) or as a place where a service provider could build to in order to deliver service to the homeowner.

It has been some time since I read the material, but my memory is that the model was at its essence one of moving the provider/subscriber demarcation point from the house to a central neighbourhood location.

Joe