nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

From: Peter Beckman <beckman () angryox com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 11:14:08 -0400

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009, Leo Bicknell wrote:

In most areas of the country you can't get a permit to build a house
without electrical service (something solar and other off the grid people
are fighting).  Since it is so much more cost effective to install with
new construction, why don't we have codes requring Cat5 drops in every
room, and fiber to the home for all new construction?

 And where does that fiber go to?  Home runs from a central point in the
 development, so any provider can hook up to any house at the street?
 Deregulation means those lines should be accessible to any company for a
 fee.  How do you give House A Verizon and House B Cox, especially if Cox
 doesn't support fiber?

 Granted, I don't do residential broadband deployments, maybe all of those
 issues are trivial, but something that needs to be considered.  Just
 because there is only one player in a certain market now doesn't mean we
 shouldn't plan now for 10 players 10 years from now in the same market.

beckman () angryox com                                 http://www.angryox.com/