nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCCs RFC for the Definition of Broadband

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:42:21 -0500

Roy wrote:
The problem that the FCC faces is making a realistic definition that can apply to the whole US and not just cities. How does fiber (home or curb) figure in the rural sections of the country?

It figures in nicely, thank you. Of course, our definition of curb might be 1.5 miles further than your definition. ;)

2 miles is the cutoff for > 10mb/s reliability, but to deal with future stuff, most of my telco customers have dropped it down to 1.5 miles. This also suited them for handling smaller remote systems with 48 ports and shifting from gr303 to SIP/MGCP, some with gr303 translators at the home office.

Our highest supported circuits currently top at 100/50, but customers don't need them, and the telco's aren't pushing video down them. We honestly hope Internet video will continue to grow and we'll just shift into higher Internet bandwidth and stick with transport. We're good at transport.

Jack