nanog mailing list archives

Re: OOB customer communications (Re: Looking for Support Contact at Equifax)

From: Brandon Galbraith <brandon.galbraith () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 11:38:37 -0500

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Mike Lewinski <mike () rockynet com> wrote:

Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

 If your email and phone communications are down due to a connectivity
break, and your customers get connectivity from you [assume no backup
links, by default .. you'd be surprised at how many smaller customers
get by with a single link and no backups at all.  If their
connectivity is down too - they just cant get to twitter right?

I can post status updates to our noc twitter account from my cell phone (so
no reliance on local network) and any customers who are using a smartphone
device can get updates from their mobile, also wholly OOB from our network.
I imagine there's a way to get updates via pure SMS too. I think it's the
melding of the mobile with the Internet that is what gives Twitter its real
power.

I agree however that if the only Twitter access is via regular computer it
loses most of its value in this situation.

Mike

Twitter allows you to specify that you want SMS notification when someone
you're following makes an update.

--
Brandon Galbraith
Mobile: 630.400.6992