nanog mailing list archives

Re: Sprint v. Cogent, some clarity & facts

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 11:55:01 -0500

On Nov 4, 2008, at 11:51 AM, Tomas L. Byrnes wrote:

The concept of "Transit Free" is a political failure, not a technical
one.

We disagree.

The protocols are designed, and the original concept behind the Internet
is, to propagate all reachability via all paths. IE to use Transit if
peering fails.

Not doing so is a policy decision that breaks the redundancy in the
original design.

Using the 'original design' (and honestly, your assertion is debatable) would not have allowed the Internet to scale to the size it is today. Or even the size it was 10 years ago.

So I guess you could say the current situation is a political success.

--
TTFN,
patrick