nanog mailing list archives

Re: Any recent predictions for routing table growth?

From: "Bradley Freeman" <bradfreeman () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 16:59:19 +0000

Thank you very much David, the Routing Growth estimates is exactly the
research I was after.

2008/11/4 David Andersen <dga () cs cmu edu>

Hey, Brad - the latest I know of are ours, but I'm possibly out of date:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dga/papers/aip-sigcomm2008-abstract.html<http://www.cs.cmu.edu/%7Edga/papers/aip-sigcomm2008-abstract.html>

Look in section 4.1.  The #s were from routeviews, June 30, 2008.  The
gist:

June 2008:  247K entries
Growth rate:  17% per year

So - June 2009:  288k

There's an embarrassing typo in the formula in the paper - it says "2.07 *
10^4" as the base, when it's obvious that it means 2.47 * 10^5.  Sigh.  I'll
get that corrected. :)

Also note that our #s differ a bit from, say, CIDR report since we used
routeviews as our baseline.  If you use the june 6, 2008 CIDR report as your
starting point, which starts at 267k, the 17% exponential growth would
predict that the October 31, 2008 CIDR report would report 284k prefixes;
 in reality, it reported 286.  So, reasonably close.  But you want to start
with the # of prefixes that YOU observe, since that's going to be a little
different depending on your vantage point.

Plug in:

STARTING_NUM_PREFIXES * e^(NUM_DAYS_ELAPSED * 0.0004253)

e.g., 267000 * e^(147 * 0.0004253)

and you'll have a pretty decent prediction unless things change course. :)