nanog mailing list archives

Re: [NANOG] Did Youtube not pay their domain bill?

From: "Kevin Blackham" <blackham () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 13:23:15 -0600

We did that with our internally anycasted recursors at my former
network. A script withdraws the routes if bind isn't answering. Works
great.

On 5/3/08, Mike Lewinski <mike () rockynet com> wrote:
David Coulson wrote:
Depends - It doesn't help if the DNS server is dead, but the front-end
is still advertising the routes.

Possibly a good argument for allowing the DNS servers to originate the
routes for them...? I've seen configuration where the routes were
injected based on link state via  crossover cable, so at least if the
whole machine pukes the route is dropped. But if the resolver or OS
itself is just hung then yeah...

Mike